Call for contributions
The ICSE2018 Doctoral Symposium is a one-day event to be held on May 29, 2018 in Gothenburg, Sweden. The symposium provides doctoral students an opportunity to interact with their colleagues working on foundations, techniques, tools, and applications of software engineering.
The goals of the symposium are to:
- provide the participants independent and constructive feedback on their current research and future research directions;
- develop a supportive community of scholars and a spirit of collaborative research;
- provide an opportunity for student participants to interact with established researchers and practitioners in the software engineering community.
Who should participate
Students should consider participating in the Doctoral Symposium at least six months before completion of their dissertation, but after having settled on a research area or thesis topic.
Each submission consists of two elements:
1. A 4-page paper describing the dissertation research. This paper has to be authored by the student only. The paper should clearly state:
- The problem to be solved in your thesis (justify why this problem is important and make clear that previous research has not yet solved that problem).
- Your research hypothesis (claim).
- The expected contributions of your dissertation research.
- How you plan to evaluate your results and to present credible evidence of your results to the community.
- A description of the results achieved so far and a planned timeline for completion.
2. A letter of recommendation from your thesis advisor. The letter should be sent by e-mail to the Doctoral Symposium Chairs. The letter of recommendation must include an assessment of the current status of your thesis research and an expected date for thesis submission.
Submissions will be reviewed by members of the Doctoral Symposium Committee. The participants will be selected on the basis of their anticipated contribution to the consortium goals as well as the potential benefit to the students. Among the criteria that will be considered in reviewing submissions are:
- the potential quality of the research and its relevance to software engineering;
- the stage of the research (see the Section "Who should participate" above);
- the diversity of backgrounds, research topics, and approaches.
Authors of submissions selected for acceptance will have the opportunity to present their work during the Doctoral Symposium and have their camera-ready version of their paper published in a companion volume to the ICSE 2018 conference proceedings and the ACM Digital Library.
Selected students will receive feedback both from a panel of experts and from other Doctoral Symposium students. The students will also have the opportunity to seek advice on various aspects of completing a PhD and performing research in software engineering.
In order to facilitate detailed feedback to the students, attendance to the Doctoral Symposium is by invitation only, limited to the DS students and the DS Committee.
- Deadline for submissions: November 20, 2017
- Notification of acceptance: January 22, 2018
- Camera-ready copy of paper due: February 12, 2018
- ICSE 2018: May 28 or May 29, 2018
|Mon 20 Nov 2017|
|Mon 22 Jan 2018|
|Mon 12 Feb 2018|
Tracy HallDoctoral Symposium Chair
Julia RubinDoctoral Symposium Chair
University of British Columbia
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Massimiliano Di Penta
University of Sannio
University of Paderborn
University of Salerno
UC San Diego
Johannes Kepler University Linz
University of Waterloo
University of Oxford
University of Texas at Dallas
University of British Columbia
The Open University
University of Passau
University of Chile