Journal-First Paper Initiative at ICSE 2018
ICSE has begun to form partnerships with prestigious journals to incorporate journal-first papers into the ICSE program. Through this initiative, authors of journal-first papers accepted in the partnering journals will be invited to present their work at ICSE, allowing the authors to speak directly to the community and offering the ICSE attendees a richer set of presentations.
The journals that support the journal-first model as partners with ICSE are the following.
- IEEE Transaction of Software Engineering (IEEE TSE)
- ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM)
- Empirical Software Engineering
A journal-first presentation submitted to ICSE 2018 must adhere to the following criteria:
- The accepted paper version was submitted to a journal from the above list no earlier than June 1st 2016.
- The paper is in the scope of the conference.
- The paper reports completely new research results or presents novel contributions that significantly extend and were not previously reported in prior work; and
- The paper does not extend prior work solely with additional proofs or algorithms (or other such details presented for completeness), additional empirical results, or minor enhancements or variants of the results presented in the prior work.
- The paper has not been presented at, and is not under consideration for, journal-first programs of other conferences.
How to submit
Authors of manuscripts that respect these criteria are invited to submit a one-page presentation proposal consisting of the paper title, authors, an extended abstract and a pointer to the original journal paper.
Authors will be invited to present their paper at ICSE 2018 after a check that the paper is in scope to the conference. As the papers have been already reviewed and accepted by the journals, they will not be reviewed again for technical content. Our plan is to include in the journal first program as many papers as possible; only in case an exceptionally high number of proposals is received, not all submissions might be selected. If needed, presentation proposals will be prioritized according to fit to the conference theme and structure of sessions.
- Submission: November 30, 2017
- Notification: January 15, 2018
- Submissions close at 23:59 AoE (Anywhere on Earth, UTC-12)
At least one author of each presentation accepted for the journal-first program must register and attend the conference to present the paper.
The journal-first manuscripts are published through the journals and will not be part of the ICSE proceedings. The journal-first papers will be listed in the conference program and the proceeding will only contain the abstract and a pointer to the journal publication.
- Journal-first paper chair: Gerardo Canfora, University of Sannio, Italy
- Marsha Chechik, University of Toronto, Canada (ICSE-18 Program co-chair)
- Ivica Crnkovic, Chalmers University of Technology & University of Gothenburg, Sweden (ICSE 2018 General chair)
- Matthew Dwyer, University of Nebraska, USA
- Nicholas A. Kraft, ABB Corporate Research, USA
- Mark Harman, Facebook and University College London, United Kingdom (ICSE 2018 Program co-chair)
- Nenad Medvidovic, University of Southern California, USA
- Hausi Muller, University of Victoria, Canada
- David S. Rosenblum, National University of Singapore, Republic of Singapore
- Guenther Ruhe, University of Calgary, Canada
- Laurie Williams, North Carolina State University, USA
- Tom Zimmermann, Microsoft Research, USA
|Thu 30 Nov 2017|
|Mon 15 Jan 2018|
University of Sannio
University of Toronto
Chalmers University of Technology & University of Gothenburg
University of Nebraska
Facebook and University College London
Nicholas A. Kraft
ABB Corporate Research
University of Southern California
University of Victoria, Computer Science, Faculty of Engineering, Canada
National University of Singapore
University of Calgary
North Carolina State University